Pages

Friday, April 04, 2008

Lumpini Park, Bangkok


Lumpini Park, Bangkok, originally uploaded by HellonEarth2006.

Lumpini park is one of the few open space areas in central Bangkok. The place is alive first thing in the morning and just before dusk with Bangkokians up to all manner of things. Jogging, Tai Chi, balroom dancing, Kendo, exercising, lounging, walking, aerobics and badminton are just some of the activities that go on here. I recently walked through the park at 6pm and there were literally thousands of people in there, many of whom were participating in aerobics. I saw at least 3 large groups of more than 100 people all following the movements of an aerobics teacher. It was quite a site and brought out such a sweat on me that I had to go and have a beer.

Lumpini is one of my favourite places in Bangkok and I never tire of wandering around the place watching what is going on. Even observing the Hari Khrishna lot is quite absorbing. One of these days I will count the number of times they sing "Hari Khrishna, Hari Rama" etc. It must get quite boring!

No comments: