Pages

Monday, May 22, 2006

Wandering around Southern Bavaria 6-7 May 2006

Lake at Kochel am See, Bavaria, Germany
Lake at Kochel am See
Alone, as Ann was visiting her parents in the UK, I decided at the last minute, that is Walchensee, Bavaria, Germanyimmediately I discovered that the weather forecast was for a warm and sunny weekend, to hire a car and head for the hills. Southern Bavaria is indeed beautiful with mountains and lakes, but slightly overshadowed both physically and metaphorically by the splendour of the Austrian Tyrol. By 9:30 Saturday morning, after blasting down the A95, I was sat outdoors sipping coffee in warm sunshine at the Gasthof zur Post in the village of Kochel am See. I was headed for Walchensee at the recommendation of my colleague Gunter who has acted as our unofficial tour guide during our visits to Munich. On reaching Walchensee, I took the cable car upWalchensee, Bavaria, Germany the mountain which revealed a fantastic view over the lake and surrounding mountains even though visibility was not at its best. The intention was to walk back down the mountain which first involved walking a little higher before you could descend. I walked to a point where I had a view across the other side of the mountain which revealed that there was still plenty of snow but also the looming dark clouds of a thunderstorm. Several flashes of lightning convinced me to abandon my plans of walki3 wheel biker, Bavaria, Germanyng down the mountain so I retraced my steps and took the cable car back down again. The thunderstorm erupted just as I got back to the car and for the rest of the day, I wandered around, some of the more picturesque parts of the area stopping once at a rest area on a rather long bend which was obviously a favourite with the motorbike fraternity as they hurtled round like it was a TT track.
The Sunday was spent doing pretty much the same thing stopping in various places such as Tegernsee, yet another lake, Garmisch Patenkirchen and Rosenheim where there was some sort of car exhibition with the likes of BMW, Volvo, VW and Fiat etc were displayig there latest models. More interestingly there were some vintage cars around which made for a few good pics.

Porsche
Austin Healey 3000
Riley Sports

No comments: